As the unofficial start to Summer, Memorial Day is all about kicking up your feet…and our Robin sandals are just the shoes you need. Whether you’re hitting the road or staying close to home, we’ve got you covered. Here are 5 ideas—from what to wear to what to eat—for enjoying the long weekend the Birdies way.
1. The Shoes
Get your toes ready for Summer and then kick back in a pair of our casually cool crossover sandals. This is the kind of Summer sandal we daydream of wearing on, dare we say it, vacation. Great with shorts, jeans, or easy sundresses, you’ll want to pack them for every trip this Summer. Consider the Robin your one & done shoe for the season.
2. The Drink
In honor of National Mint Julep Day (May 30), we’ve mixed up the Birdies version of this classic cocktail…with strawberries and mint. It’s a sweeter version of the spirit-forward drink in a bright shade of pink and is simply refreshing on a warm afternoon. Top with strawberry slices and a few sprigs of mint for a standout drink. We chose bourbon from the female-owned, Oakland-based, sustainable brand Home Base Spirits.
Strawberry Mint Julep Recipe
1. Make a mint simple syrup by combining 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup fresh mint in a small saucepan. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Cool and discard mint. Jar and save in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
2. Purée 1 cup strawberries and 3/4 ounce mint simple syrup together in a blender.
3. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and 2 ounces bourbon. Add strawberry-mint purée and a squeeze of lemon juice. Shake.
4. Pour into a glass filled with ice. Top with strawberry slices, mint sprigs, and edible flowers. Makes 1 drink.
3. The Snack
Easy dishes are key after a year of cooking at home. Try our simple (but also beautiful and delicious) recipe for beet hummus & crudités of radishes, heirloom carrots, snap peas, and cucumber wedges. It’s a healthy snack that’s filling and fun to eat (even the kids will like it!). The best part? This spread looks impressive but couldn’t be easier to make.
Beet Hummus & Crudités Recipe
1. Wrap 2 medium-sized beets in foil and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for about 2 hours (or until tender when pierced with a fork).
2. Once cooled, peel the beets and add to a food processor along with one 25-ounce can of chickpeas (including the liquid), 2 peeled garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons tahini, and the juice from 1 lemon.
3. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with more salt, lemon juice, or garlic. Transfer to a dipping bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
4. Slice up your preferred crudités veggies and arrange on a platter along with the bowl of beet hummus. Enjoy!
4. The Flowers
Dress up any table with fresh flowers. We put together a pretty bouquet of whites and soft pinks using fringed tulips, anthurium, tuberose, and white scabiosa flowers from the SF Flower Mart. All bouquets benefit from a little greenery, so we chose bay and olive branches. And to add a little intrigue, we finished the arrangement with a few standout stems of spiky, purply-blue eryngos and scabiosa pods.
5. The Playlist
Tune in to our latest playlist for chill long weekend vibes. From oldies by The Doobie Brothers and Three Dog Night to power anthems from Beyoncé, Chaka Khan, and Mariah Carey, there are sure to be a few hits that will get you in the mood for Summertime.
No matter what you’re up to, we hope you enjoy the long weekend in style and comfort—with our tips, recipes, and our perfect-for-Summer Robin sandals.